What Is Orthognathic Surgery?
Orthognathic surgery can be defined as the combination of orthodontic and maxillofacial surgical techniques for correcting malformations of the lower and upper jaws. Orthognathic surgery deals with incompatibilities between upper and lower haws or between teeth and jaws. If there is an abnormality in the concordance of the lower and the upper jaw, a bite disorder occurs and this also affects the facial aesthetic. In such problems, orthodontist cooperates with the jaw surgeon to correct functional and visual problems. Orthodontists align the teeth; the jaw surgeon brings jaws to proper position. Desired result can be achieved by proper planning, correct techniques and a good care after surgery.
What Are Indications Of Orthognathic Surgery?
– Lower jaw is located onward, backward, left side or right side
– Under-development of one or both sides of the lower jaw
– Upper jaw is located onward, backward, left side or right side
– Under-development of upper jaw
– No contact between teeth of the lower and the upper jaws
– The tip of the chin is onwards, backwards, small or large
– Larger or smaller cheekbones or onward or backward location thereof
– Deformities and deformations secondary to accident and tumor
– Facial asymmetry
How Is Orthognathic Surgery Carried Out?
Orthognatic surgery (jaw surgery) is carried out to place jaw bones, teeth and tissues to the anatomical position. A surgery is instituted, if orthodontic treatment alone is not sufficient to correct the jaw and the bite disorders. The surgery may involve lower jaw or upper jaw alone or both.
General anesthesia is administered for orthognathic surgery that is carried out jointly by the orthodontist and the jaw surgeon. The surgical procedure takes around 2-4 hours depending on the disorder.
The Postoperative Period Of Orthognathic Surgery?
The patient needs to stay at the hospital for 2-3 days after the surgery. The swellings heal within a week. Although the first week is a bit distressing, a remarkable improvement occurs after 1 month. 6. Complete recovery is achieved after 6 months.
Orthognathic Surgery Prices
For detailed information on treatment costs of Orthognathic Surgery, please reach us via below form.